Upcoming Events

Thursday, June 14, 2007

88,378 km & 6038 liters - K[p]

Talk about going green, its exactly 3 years since I drove my N16 out of the showroom and have already clocked up more than 88,000 kilometers. Putting it in perspective, the circumference of the earth at the equator is 40,075 km as can be found here

http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzcircumference.htm

That would mean, in those 3 years, if I have kept going straight, I would have driven around the world. TWICE!!!

I keep a detailed records of my petrol usage as well, and the total is 6,038.32 liters of mostly RON92 petrol. That works out to 14.63 km/l. The rated fuel consumption of the new Honda hybrid is 22 km/l, if I were using that car, I would have only used up 4,017 liters of petrol instead, a huge 33% reductions! But when converted to $, i would have only saved $2,400 which does not cover the high cost of the car. Economics still rules.

I still think it is a catch 22 situation. If making hybrid cars so economical that everyone is buying it would mean less petrol used. And petrols are taxed. Which would make it a double whammy. Economies still rules.

No comments: