Upcoming Events

Saturday, June 28, 2008

You should, You should, You should

Seems like there will always be lots of advice on how to setup your kart. Not that I am complaining, any advice that makes you go faster is always welcomed. You should change your jetting? You should change your final gear? You should lower your seat?

I have resisted all and just played with kart tire pressure only. In this respect, I am still a newbie, but in simple terms, you need to have your tires at the correct pressure for it to work at its optimum. For short races, best you start at a higher pressure as the race would be too short for the temperature to rise till it hits the tire's optimum pressure. For long races, best to start at a lower pressure else you will find late on in the race that your tires are losing its grip.

We can see in F1 where those teams that changed from Michelin to BS tires will struggle with managing the new tires. Which is a fact that I am facing. Why? Because here in Singapore / Malaysia, we do not have a constant supply of the same tires. I am using a set of Yokohamas now, and after this, I do not think I will be able to get another set. Most probably, I will have to switch to Mojos, and I hope we can get a steady supply of these.

Also last week, I have set down to create a list of data that I want recorded. Time to get a little bit more professional. In this respect, I would need to be able to measure Pressure, Temperature and Humidity. Any sponsors?

No comments: